Thursday, September 25, 2014

Meet Tessa Marie

Today I was lucky enough to sit down with Tessa Marie, author of Home is Where You Are that is being released on September 30. We talked all things writing. 



Tell us your latest news? 

Home is Where You Are will be releasing on September 30th. It is up for preorder and is $0.99 now through release day.  


What are your current projects? 
Home is Where You Are has been my main focus the last couple of months, but I’m excited to go back to other projects and to start some new ones. I will be writing a companion novel to Home is Where You Are that will focus on Anna’s best friend Katie. Also currently working with Becca Ann on the third book in our Beds series, Bumpy Roads and Lonesome Beds.  


What books or authors have influenced your writing? 
So many! I would say top three Sarah Dessen, Simone Elkeles and Toni Blake.  


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet? 
Last year I got to meet that author. I met Sarah Dessen at BEA and totally fangirled. She was so sweet and it was definitely a highlight in my life.  


Tell us a little about your background. When did you start writing? 
For as long as I can remember I’ve always been a writer. But I started writing seriously about 6 years ago. 


Where do you get your ideas?
Everywhere. The most random thing can trigger an idea. Home is Where You Are started with me remembering a line for a soup kitchen I used to walk by with my mom when I was a kid. I also wrote a book based off of a sign I saw on a tree.  News stories have triggered ideas as well as my own experiences. 

What is your writing process?
I don’t really have one. I’m a total pantser. I let my characters steer the wheel and just take me wherever they want to go. I have a day job so I try to write whenever I can squeeze it in. Usually at night on the couch or on my deck wrapped up in a blanket.   

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest novel?
Home is Where You Are is about Dean, a homeless boy, and Anna, an overachiever, both struggling with their pasts. Slowly they let each other in, but when a series of events brings Dean’s world into perspective, he pushes Anna away  

Are any of your characters based on real-life friends or acquaintances?
Not based, but I do tend to pull little quirks and traits from a bunch of people and put them into one character. 

Do you ever incorporate yourself into your characters?
I do. I don’t do it intentionally, but all my characters have little pieces of me in them. 

Tell us about your cover. Did you design it yourself?
I tried... I found the image and thought it was perfect, and attempted the font, but it fell flat for me. Thankfully author Cassie Mae said she would do it and brought it to life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment